Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Truth

"If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." 

Matt. 5:11-16 

I was sitting in a classroom at NYU a short time back reminiscing a bit about the last time I was in that building some 32 years ago during my freshman year at that University. I was struck by how different things were. The classrooms were modernized and equipped with the latest computer gadgets. Yet my mind could still see the room the way it was.

As I listened to the professor, one sentence just seared itself into my mind. We were studying binary logic and she said, "You can't test for falsehood. Falsehood is nothing by itself, it is merely the absence of truth. You can't find something that by definition isn't there in the first place." You see, truth, however elusive because of circumstance, is provable. It is constant. Not only so, but when discovered, it disperses falsehood; It reveals it for what it is.

Things around us may change. We might add a few "gadgets" to our lives. Our circumstances might conspire against us so that the world might seem to be speeding right by us. Notwithstanding, in this ever changing world one thing remains fundamentally true - Jesus Christ.

Ironically, He doesn't claim to know the truth. You see, his claim is far greater than that. Jesus said in John 14:6, "I am the way, I am the truth, and I am the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." There is no alternative path to truth. It's either Christ, or it's a lie.

When you have Jesus, you have truth. And when you have truth, you have freedom. Jesus said in John 8:31, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." The truth is that Jesus is inside of us and if we just let him shine out, His light will disperse the darkness around us. He will make all things clear in our spirit. He will set us, and those around us free. 

Love ya,

Pastor Mario

No comments:

Post a Comment